Friday, December 16, 2011

the cold winds are rising.

It's time for the next category for my best of 2011 series. Allow me to show you which TV shows warmed my heart, entertained me or gave me the shivers the last 350 days.



1. HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER
I never would have imagined how much this TV show would mean to me, when I first started to watch it a couple of years ago. In fact I was like, what's the hype about this show, I don't get it, I hate sitcoms with fake laughter, and it isn't even funny. But I kept watching, and within season 02 Ted & Co. got me. And then came a time when I was devastated, last year in winter. I had no internet, yet in my new flat and that was the time when this TV show literally saved my live. I kept rewatching season 01 and 02 over and over again, and it made me smile when I thought I couldn't smile anymore. And oh boy, I don't even want to imagine what it will be like, when this, somewhen, eventually comes to an end. In 2011 we had the end of season 06 (which was in my opinion better than the seasons before with all those awesome guest stars from other favourite TV shows like SIX FEET UNDER, DEXTER or LOST) and the first part of season 07 which is more dramatic than this show ever was, but I dig it. I have seen people on the internet mocking about they finally want to know who the mother of Ted's kids is, but I am just thinking, this show has never been about the mother in the first place, but about this awesome friendship between five awesome characters I fell madly in love with.

2. TRUE BLOOD
Sexy, dirty, juicy True Blood is just perfect for the sticky summer season. And season 04 for me has been the most hilarious one. I just love how Alan Ball does not fear to make an episode cheesy and how he just doesn't take himself too serious. I also liked how Dr. Skarsgard can be both the cruel and reckless killer and the poor little bunny you just want to squeeze and cuddle. But I was also a bit disappointed about Lafayette's Character, he was way more funny in the earlier seasons and this time he was pretty boring, almost no swearing and this hair-do...um..I dunno. 

3. GAME OF THRONES
Again a series I didn't think I could like, all this dark age fantasy stuff did never attract me. But bored Simone needed something new to entertain her, and Game of Thrones seemed to be the new shit. So I gave it a try and i have to admit that I often caught myself not paying attention and skipping back to key scenes I missed. And like on every other TV show I need some time to identify with the characters, which is the main aspect that keeps me going with a show (seems plausible, right?) However, it didn't take long for me to feel sympathy for the House of Stark and especially Arya, the smallest of Eddard's and Catelyn's children, a smart little girl, willing to fight like a soldier. Another great character is Tyrion Lannister played by Peter Dinklage, who won a lot of prices for this role, i guess, not surprising for me, as he does a great job. Anyway, Game of Thrones is full rolling heads and other body parts, full of scheming and full of ruthless characters (especially that bitch Cersei) that make you want to slap their faces or wish other characters will have a bloody revenge on them. I can't wait for season 02! Four months to go! 

4. NEW GIRL
Another comedy show. Zooey Deschanel. I mentioned before that I never really knew what to think about her. But boredom must have played a big role, too, here, that I thought I give this one a chance. And what can I say, from the very beginning the episodes where amazing, and the writers set it on a very high entertainment level. This season isn't halfway through and I am curious if they can keep that level up.

5. AMERICAN HORROR STORY
Horror Stories? Yes, please! But this one's a very weird one, right from the start. It's actually not even scary but it's mentally challenging its characters AND its audience. It takes a while for the viewer to figure out, what is real, who is really alive and who is actually dead. Who is using who, to achive what? And why is there this sympathy for a person who is actually a scumbag (yes, Tate, I am talking about you!) This week will be the season finale, and I am excited what will happen next, and what a further season might bring.

I am sure, people might say now: "Simone! What about Breaking Bad?! It was so amazing, how can you not even mention it here?" It is simply because I haven't watched season 04, yet and didn't even finish season 03. I love Walter & Co. and I love how fucked up this series is, but I watched season 01 and 02 in a row and when I started number 03 it was just pretty exhausting and I fell asleep while watching, so I decided to "take a break" on Breaking Bad. And then all these series started at the same time, Dexter (which was pretty disappointing, but I already expected this) Misfits, The Walking Dead, New Girl, American Horror Story and HIMYM. So I am going to recommence when there is a tv-show drought, probably somewhen in february, and I am pretty sure, I will like it.

p.s. I know what I said about the length of the entries, but oh well.. 

3 comments:

  1. here's my list:

    1.Breaking Bad
    2.Breaking Bad
    3.Breaking Bad
    4.Breaking Bad
    5.Breaking Bad

    ReplyDelete
  2. not sure about the order, though. ;)

    aber im ernst, in die ein oder andere serie möchte ich noch reinschauen. american horror story steht noch auf meiner liste. und auch homeland klingt nach einer serie für mich.

    alles andere, in das ich dieses jahr reingesehen habe, war leider ziemlich grottig. die neue staffel dexter habe ich nur 3 folgen durchgehalten. langweilt mich inzwischen einfach zu sehr.
    und walking dead musste ich ob der mangelnden qualität auch mittendrin abbrechen.
    über meine "new girl" - hassliebe weißt du ja ohnehin bescheid. habe ich jetzt in letzter zeit auch nicht mehr verfolgt.

    ReplyDelete